3 min read
What’s Your Vision for 2024?
By: OHI on Dec 28, 2023 5:00:00 AM
Here it comes…the New Year and it is just around the corner. With the new year comes new possibilities, unknown opportunities, and exciting new prospects. It’s a fresh start with boundless potential. Which means it’s the perfect time to check in with yourself, discover what we truly want out of life, and set a vision for the future.
What is a “vision” exactly?
A vision is an overarching and all-encompassing conceptualization of your ideal self and ideal life.
Vision vs. Goals
- Vision – Your vision is like your mission statement. It’s a ‘big picture’ idea of how you want your life to look. Your vision could be greater health, more financial abundance, stronger relationships with your family and loved ones, or just more joy and love in your life.
- Goals – It might help to think of goals as smaller, more easily digestible pieces of your overall vision. Goals are clearly defined targets that exist within your greater vision and guide you closer to your ideal life.
For instance, if your vision includes improving your health, your first goal might be to lose 5lbs., quit smoking, or change your diet. If your vision includes greater wealth, you might set a goal to pay off that credit card debt or start your own business. If your vision includes improving your relationships, your goals might include forgiving an old grievance, or simply communicating more with those you care about.
How to Set Your Vision
When people leave OHI, one of the most valuable things we want them to take away from their experience is a renewed and strengthened vision for their lives. This happens in a variety of different ways. Here are a few of the steps you can take:
- Meditation – A cluttered mind is perhaps the primary obstacle to overcome when crafting a solid vision for yourself. Holding and sticking to your vision requires focus. That’s why meditation is such a crucial part of the OHI experience. Consistent meditation helps to release pain and pent-up tension, and helps you to tap into your sub-consciousness by clearing away the muck and frustration that builds up over time.
- Acceptance – The many physical, emotional, and mental struggles we encounter in life can sometimes hamper our ability to stay positive. But, through consistent practice, and purposeful dedication to self-acceptance, you can learn to maintain the positive mental attitude needed to push toward your vision for a healthier happier you.
- Visualization – One of the ways we try to bring our visions to life at OHI is with our vision board class. This gives guests the opportunity to tap into their creativity by building physical representations of their overall visions. By combining images and photographs with words and phrases that connect our visions to concrete things in the real world, we charge our visions with feelings of passion, and begin to attract those things into our lives.
A three-week retreat at OHI can be an eye-opening first step toward making your vision a reality, but that’s not to say you shouldn’t get started on your own. The important thing to remember is to clear your mind, focus on a positive mental attitude, and set your vision before setting your goals, because if your goals don’t serve a greater purpose, you are much less likely to achieve them.
There’s no better way to start off the New Year than by taking time for yourself to create a clear vision for the life you want to lead in 2024. OHI is here for you! We will motivate you to stick with your commitment to health and discover new ways to empower yourself.