3 min read
Vision for New Year
By: OHI on Dec 15, 2022 10:48:00 AM
Put Visualization to Work for You In the New Year
A new year is upon us, and with it comes the age-old question: Should I bother to make a New Year’s resolution? Time and again, people resolve to lose weight, eat healthier, or start exercising, and time and again people fall back to their old ways within weeks.
Why? Because they made a resolution without a vision.
What’s the difference between a Resolution and a Vision?
A Resolution is about setting your sights on a singular achievement, and setting goals to get there. A Vision is an over-arching picture of your life, where you see your future so clearly that it inspires you to take action and manifest it. Your Vision will inspire you to strive for your best future.
- Definition of a New Year’s Resolution (from Cambridge Dictionary.org): A promise that you make to yourself to start doing something good or stop doing something bad on the first day of the year.
- Definition of a Plan (from Oxford Living Dictionary): A detailed proposal for doing or achieving something.
- Definition of Vision (from Oxford Languages): The ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom.
- Definition of Visualization (from Merriam-Webster Dictionary): The formation of vivid mental images.
Bring a Vision to life through Visualization
Visualization involves creating mental images of the things you want. It’s using your imagination to walk yourself through various scenarios as if rehearsing them. It’s not just “seeing” yourself accomplishing whatever is important to you, but “feeling” it, too, incorporating all five senses. Like meditation, Visualization is most effective when practiced regularly.
What is the science behind Visualization?
The science behind Visualization relates to the neural patterns of your brain. Humans are predominately visual creatures. More than one third of our brain is devoted to processing visual information. This is far more than that devoted to understanding sound, smell, language, and movement. As you continue to think and visualize the things that you want in your life, you create neural patterns as if you had actually done that activity.
What are the benefits of Visualization?
When practiced regularly, Visualization has many benefits:
- Boost your motivation: When you can picture a sunny future, you’ll be fired up to make that Vision a reality.
- Gain confidence: Visualization involves detailed scripting. The more you rehearse that script in your mind, the more you gain confidence for that situation.
- Spark inspiration: Visualization gives you the freedom to imagine ANY future for yourself.
- Improve mood: With a rosy future ahead, who can help but feel happy?
- Declutter your mind: Visualization helps you slow down and control your thoughts, making it easier to eliminate what isn’t central to your Vision.
- Determine what you want: When you envision your future in every detail, the clearer you’ll understand what you expect of yourself and seek out in others.
- Decrease anxiety: Visualization allows you to take control of what you are thinking, and how your body is reacting.
- Enhance performance: Visualization calms your mind, and trains your brain to focus on one thing at a time.
How to do Visualization
Harness the power of creative Visualization through these five basic steps:
- Set a clear vision for the future
- Visualize yourself in a singular scenario in that future.
- Try to “feel” every moment as if it were really happening. Write a script with as much detail as possible, focusing on all the senses and getting in touch with what feelings are evoked.
- See the event in your mind’s eye, moment by moment. View the scene as if you are inside a camera looking out.
- Record the script, and listen to the audio every night, visualizing it as you listen.
So this year ditch the New Year’s Resolution, and instead put the power of Visualization to work for you. When you spend time actively visualizing what it is you want for yourself, you are creating the motivation within to go after it. The more you visualize it, the more you are able to really see and believe that it is possible in your life. You will look for the opportunities to make it happen. Real change is possible. Happiness is within your grasp. Visualization is the key. Cheers to your beautiful future!
Optimum Health Institute is here for you! We will motivate you to stick with your commitment to health and discover new ways to empower yourself. Explore the holistic healing program offered at OHI. This program offers three week-long sessions, where you will learn to cleanse the body, quiet the mind, and awaken the spirit.
Call OHI at (800) 588-0809 to book a reservation today!