3 min read
The Art of Celebration
By: OHI on Aug 11, 2022 12:00:00 AM
In our busy lives, it seems we move from one accomplishment to the next to the next. There is no pause for acknowledgement. There is no pat on the back for success.
Why are we so averse to slowing down and celebrating ourselves? Celebrations can be positively life-affirming! Here’s why celebrations are so important, and how you can more easily find those hidden moments of celebration in your everyday life.
Why are celebrations important?
Any celebration, big or small, is really about taking a beat to notice the good stuff in your life. A celebration is actually important to your mental health, because it creates more meaning in your life:
- When you recognize what’s working well in one part of your life — your talents, abilities, skills, or persistence — you can replicate it in other parts of your life. Celebrating a “success mindset” motivates us to keep working toward our goals.
- Moments of celebration make us pause and be mindful, and that boosts our well-being. According to social psychology researcher, Fred Bryant, when we stop to celebrate the good stuff, we buffer ourselves against the bad, and that helps us build resilience.
- According to research led by Hadassah Littman-Ovadia, when we have something to look forward to that’s worth celebrating, we feel more optimistic. When we’re optimistic, we have a more positive mindset that permeates all aspects of our thinking.
- The process of “savoring” — noticing, appreciating, and celebrating positive experiences — increases feelings of self-worth and overall life satisfaction.
Celebrate the moment in 3 simple steps
Not every celebration needs to be marked with fireworks. It’s easy to soak up the good vibes in every situation with these simple steps:
- Be on the look-out for “good”
What is it that you are proud of? What do you like about your life? Don’t wait for someone else to tell you you did a great job. Notice what gives you that little spring in your step. It matters.
- Bookmark the moment in your memory
Give that achievement, that satisfaction, that sacrifice, that milestone the spotlight it deserves. Whatever you’re celebrating, set the moment apart by stepping out of your routine for just a few minutes to bookmark the moment in your memory. It’s important.
- Take ACTION
Even the smallest moments of happiness deserve a celebration. So leap to your feet and make a toast, say a prayer, burst into song, hug yourself, or blow a kiss. Bring the moment to life with a happy dance or high five that sends an explosion of dopamine to your brain. You are worth it.
How does OHI embrace “celebration”?
If you hadn’t already guessed, OHI makes it a priority to practice celebration every day. We invite guests to participate in celebrations that honor accomplishments, attributes, and talents in a safe environment of trust, honesty, laughter, and joy. Rejoicing with others who are also on the journey towards optimum health makes every celebration that much more meaningful:
Release Ceremony: Our weekly release ceremony encourages guests to let go of barriers to their health. As soon as you let go of something, you make room for so much more in your life. This ceremony celebrates the courage it takes to let go, and embrace the new path you are about to embark on.
Validation Group: Sometimes it’s difficult to look in the mirror and acknowledge all the good in you when all you’re used to doing is focusing on faults. When you’re part of our validation group, we celebrate and affirm each person’s positive gifts. Hearing how others see you and value the whole you is quite a celebration, indeed.
Inspirational Testimonials: Time-and-again, guest say that sharing inspirational testimonials is one of the most life-affirming moments they have ever experienced. In this sacred space, guests share details of their healing journey while at OHI.
It can be easy to get caught up in the stresses of everyday life. Taking time out to celebrate can be an important way to build connection, remind ourselves why we do what we do, and generate hope. Every celebratory moment you discover cultivates a positive mindset, and suddenly it’s easy to see the good that exists all around you!
At OHI, our entire program – including our classes, diet, and community fellowship – supports all dimensions of wellness. Remember, wellness is a life-long pursuit. Strive for balance, control what you can (diet, exercise, stress), and surround yourself with supportive care for the rest of it. May the changes you make to your wellness habits change your life for the better! Visit our website at www.optimumhealth.org, and call us at (800) 588-0809 to make your reservation.