5 Tips for Reducing Stress
Every one of us faces stressful situations from time to time – because we’re human. Yet even though stress is a normal part of life, in large doses it can be overwhelming and harmful to our health and well-being. Here are five suggestions for releasing stress in your life.
- Be more active. Whether you join a gym, practice Pilates, ride a bike, or take walks, being physically active is an excellent way to reduce stress.
- Practice mindfulness. Buddhist monk, author, and teacher, Thích Nhất Hạnh, sums up this concept beautifully. “Live the actual moment. Only this actual moment is life.”
- Breathe. Focus on deep breathing in the morning, at noon, at night … just breathe.
- Get enough sleep. High stress often goes hand-in-hand with inadequate sleep, which, in turn, creates more stress. Put an end to this vicious cycle by sleeping at least seven hours a night.
- Make time for prayer. Research has shown that people who regularly pray are better able to cope with stress (and life in general). Making prayer a priority in your life can help you relax and hand your stress over to God.
If you’re troubled by stress, try putting these suggestions to work. And please know that the OHI community is here for you. If you’re considering a stay with us, give us a call and we’ll talk it through with you.
Our entire OHI for Life Body-Mind-Spirit Program - including our classes, diet, and community fellowship - supports all dimensions of wellness. Remember, wellness is a life-long pursuit. Strive for balance, control what you can (diet, exercise, stress), and surround yourself with supportive care for the rest of it. May the changes you make to your wellness habits change your life for the better! Visit our website at www.optimumhealth.org, and call us at (800) 588-0809 to make your reservation.